Kevin Price, March 2018
Some content of this PD is updated to include responses to the 2017 ATAR examination.
In response to the markers’ reports of the 2016 ATAR English WACE exam, and the 2017 ATAR WACE exam, which carried criticism of candidates’ composition writing, and in response to the success of this program last year, this PD Masterclass aims to improve knowledge, skills and understanding of Creative Writing discipline among ATAR English teachers so that students in their future ATAR English WACE candidature might enjoy greater success.
Taking the markers’ comments into consideration, along with feedback from current ATAR English teachers, and an analysis of the marking keys used for the 2016 and 2017 exams, the PD Masterclass has been developed to address four Creative Writing practice areas which are likely to have the greatest impact on improved student outcomes against that specific criticism:
- How using a dynamic studio/workshop environment enhances productive writing learning
- How teaching students the skills of ‘reading as a writer’, and developing a mastery of the vocabulary involved in writing across different genres, as well as that used in the ATAR English course and by examiners and markers, will improve their confidence under exam conditions
- How developing students’ capacity for independent thought, and teaching methods of finding, developing, choosing, and expressing ideas to satisfy an ‘effect wanted’, leads to writing for that satisfaction
- How teaching Storycraft from a proven writers’ framework helps develop student knowledge in (and of) narrative theories and skills.
The program is conducted by Kevin Price, founder of the Born Storytellers, novelist, researcher in Creative Writing and Education, with more than ten years of classroom experience in writing education. Further in-school support by way of in-class incursions are offered, and specially targeted teacher development can also be considered.
The Masterclass Program
In an effort to ensure there are suitable access times, we are offering the Masterclass six times during 2018. Our intention is to offer the program spread across the year in both school holiday periods and during terms. April and June have been scheduled. We are intending one in July, August, September and November. Dates for the second half of the year will be published as soon as they are to hand. If you can’t attend one of those currently on offer and would like to be advised of later dates when they are available, please contact us and we will let you know first.
This PD is an intensive immersion in a ‘live’ writing studio/workshop environment, used to model how a Creative Writing practice culture can be incorporated into a classroom.
The Masterclass includes:
- 12 Hours of professional learning instruction (plus a homework exercise overnight)
- The textbook, Story Craft, A Born Storytellers Workbook
- The project book, Story Craft II, A Born Storytellers Workbook
- Writing notebook
- Workshop notes and reference materials
- Morning teas and Lunches (both days)
- Certificate of completion
All-inclusive cost: $390**
**Note: The cost includes workshop tuition and materials, lunches, morning teas, text books, notes and references,as well as GST. Parking is charged separately for those wanting parking facilities. Murdoch has excellent public transport access. ACROD card holders do not have to pay for parking and ACROD bays are close to the venues.