Kevin Price, 12 June, 2017
In response to the markers’ report of the 2016 ATAR English WACE exam, which carried criticism of candidates’ composition writing, and in response to the success of the program earlier in the year, this PD aims to improve knowledge, skills and understanding of Creative Writing discipline among ATAR English teachers so that students in their future ATAR English WACE candidature might enjoy greater success.
Taking the markers’ comments into consideration, along with feedback from current ATAR English teachers, and an analysis of the marking keys used for the 2016 exam, the PD Masterclass has been developed to address four Creative Writing practice areas which are likely to have the greatest impact on improved student outcomes against that specific criticism.
- How using a dynamic studio/workshop environment enhances productive writing learning.
- How teaching students the skills of ‘reading as a writer’, and developing a mastery of the vocabulary involved in writing across different genres, as well as that used in the ATAR English course and by examiners and markers, will improve their confidence under exam conditions.
- How developing students’ capacity for independent thought, and teaching methods of finding, developing, choosing, and expressing ideas to satisfy an ‘effect wanted’, leads to writing for that satisfaction.
- How teaching Storycraft from a proven writers’ framework helps develop student knowledge in (and of) narrative theories and skills.
The program is conducted by Kevin Price, founder of the Born Storytellers, novelist, researcher in Creative Writing and Education, with more than ten years of classroom experience in writing education. Further in-school support by way of in-class incursions and specially targeted teacher development can also be considered.
The Masterclass Program
In an effort to ensure there are suitable access times, we are offering the Masterclass twice. You can choose to attend one during the second week of the school holiday break, or during week 1 of term 3. Additional dates may be added, or offered in alternative venues as demand requires.
This PD is an intensive immersion in a ‘live’ writing studio/workshop environment, used to model how a Creative Writing practice culture can be incorporated into a classroom.
The Masterclass includes:
- 12 Hours of professional learning instruction (plus a homework exercise overnight)
- The textbook, Story Craft, A Born Storytellers Workbook
- The project book, Story Craft II, A Born Storytellers Workbook
- Writing notebook
- Workshop notes and reference materials
- Morning teas and Lunches (both days)
- Parking (both days)
- Certificate of completion
All-inclusive cost: $330